Well the edge is finished.. at last it seemed to take ages. I soon found that it was a lot easier to use DPN and I tried the Knit Pro Zing and was very pleased with them. As I can't use metal needles I did wonder if they would be cold to the touch but they are advertised as warm so I tried them and I found they great to use. There was not snaggy parts and I love the fact that the needles are colour coded.
The finished edge
Anyway I joined the edge up (next time I will use a provisional cast on and kitchener stitch), picked up all the stitches and started going around. I did not like working from the written instructions so I have started to convert them to chart form. So far so good as it really is repetitive.